Friday

I finally got my bookcases!

Which means that I've unpacked a whole lot of books, all that's left to unpack are a few of my crafty items and then I'll be all moved in! (yes, now that I've been here for 3 months). It was nice to see all my old friends that have been boxed up for so long. I love books!

December 4. What book - fiction or non - touched you?

Trying to answer the next Best of '09 question, I got totally stuck. Kept thinking of great books I'd read in the last 2 or 3 years. This year what I've read is either non-fiction books that honestly didn't have much more info than the (much better) ones I'd read the previous year, and my typical sci-fi & vampire paperback fare. Nothing spectacular, I don't even have the Twilight series yet. But then I scanned my bookcase and remembered that I read this one earlier this year:


People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. It follows the creation of a religious text with paintings inside (a heresy way back in the day) and it's travels throughout hundreds of years. It's a good view into some of the Jewish/Catholic/Muslim tensions through the ages. Long sections of the story are told from the viewpoint of the book's various caretakers at certain points in time. I liked it a lot because of that, and it also reminded me of the movie The Red Violin, which similarly follows the owners of a distinguished violin at various times. That movie's in my top 20 favorites (I always have such a hard time narrowing favorites down to 1 or 2 - why not 10 or 50?).

No comments:

Post a Comment